Where it all began

It all started in early 2016, we decided to move house for a few reasons, we wanted to part exchange our current house in order to move as quickly as we could and with the least amount of hassle.

After exploring the area for new builds we found a house we liked near Nantwich, the house was already built, it had no interior fittings, no plasterboarding, but the exterior was completed, along with the garage and driveway.

The sales person at the showhome was very nice, we went through the details and paid the first deposit, we went with her recommendation of solicitor as we thought it would be the most efficient method.

We chose this house for a few reasons, it was closer to my child’s school, it had a detached double garage and a very large driveway, enough to park a lot of cars on, this was very important to us and one of the main reasons we bought the house.

We engaged the recommended solicitor in March 2016 and started the normal processes of trading in our old house and purchasing the new one. We chose the kitchen and bathroom fittings as you normally would, paid extra to have electrics put in the loft and garage and I also requested changes to the utility, to this end I submitted a detailed plan of the utility changes, including a technical drawing of the changes. This was accepted by wainhomes and I then paid towards the utility work.

We were told it would be 4 weeks to contract exchange, any delay would incur penalties from wainhomes and they could refuse to sell us the house, so we rushed everything as fast as we could. The house we were buying had no extras, no flooring, fitted wardrobes or anything. A basic shell with kitchen and bathrooms fitted.

Everything seemed fine, and then it started to fall apart.

Next Page – First issues